Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 33.5 x 46 cm
Signed and dated lower right “Kars 29”
Verso inscribed artist’s dedication “á Marion et Marien la Citadelle December 1939, Georges Kars” and stamp of exhibition
Confirmation of authenticity by Professor Tomas Vlcek attached.
Consulted with Professor Jaromir Zemina and Jiri Machalicky, PhD.
He attended the Salons of Prague and took painting courses before leaving in 1899 for Munich where he studied with Franz von Stuck and became friends with Pascin and Paul Klee.In 1908 Kars left for Paris and settled in Montmartre at the time of the Cubist revolution, that had an influence on his work, there he also met Suzanne Valadon and Maurice Utrillo. His style evolved towards simplicity of form, but he remained deeply attached to realism.
After WWII started and the Germans occupied Paris, he took refuge first in Lyon then left for Switzerland.
In 1945, Kars, in deep melancholy caused by the tragedy of the war, committed suicide.
In 1966, the contents of his atelier were auctioned at the Palais Galleria.
In 1983, the Modern Art Museum of Troyes staged a Kars retrospective and exhibited 120 of his works.